Is green tea the healthiest beverage on the planet?
It’s loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have a powerful effect on the body - including - lowering the risk of cancer, improved brain function and fat loss. Here are 10 good reasons to be drinking more green tea…
1. Bioactive Compounds Green tea is loaded with bioactive compounds that can have various beneficial effects on health.
2. Improves brain function Green tea contains less caffeine than coffee, but has enough to produce a positive effect. It also contains the amino acid L-theanine, which can work synergistically with caffeine to improve brain function.
3. Increases fat burning and improves physical performance Green tea has been shown to boost the metabolic rate and increase fat burning in the short term, especially in the abdominal area.
4. Antioxidants may help lower the risk of developing different types of cancer Green tea has powerful antioxidants, multiple studies show that green tea drinkers have a lower risk of some cancers, such as breast cancer, prostate cancer and colorectal cancer.
5. Lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s The bioactive catechin compounds in green tea can have various protective effects on neurons potentially lowering the risk of developing Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
6. Kills bacteria The catechins in green tea can inhibit the growth of bacteria and some viruses. This can lower the risk of infections and lead to improvements in dental health and help to reduce bad breath.
7. Helps lower the risk of developing type II diabetes Some controlled studies have shown that green tea can cause mild reductions in blood sugar levels by improving insulin sensitivity. It may also lower the risk of developing type II diabetes in the long term.
8. Helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease Green tea has been shown to lower total and LDL cholesterol as well as protect the LDL particles from oxidation. Green tea drinkers have up to 31% lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
9. Lowers the risk of obesity and aids weight loss Some studies have shown that green tea leads to increased weight loss, as it can boost the metabolic rate. It also demonstrates the ability to help suppress your appetite.
10. Can help you live longer In a study of 40,530 Japanese adults , those who drank the most green tea were significantly less likely to die during an 11 year period.
Green tea can be bitter and not to everyone’s taste, here are a few tips to get you started with it…
Don’t brew it for too long - this is what can cause the bitter taste. Try brewing for 1 minute to start with and then as you get used to the taste 2 minutes.
Try a flavoured green tea - there are a variety of different flavours available, find one that appeals to you as it will help you get used to the taste.
Try and buy a decent quality green tea - some of the lower quality brands can contain excessive levels of fluoride. That said even a lower quality brand will have benefits that far outweigh any risk.
As we always advise - don’t overdo it - everything in moderation!